Early geniuses of Delta Blues - Robert Johnson, Geeshie Wiley & Elvie Thomas, Son House, Charley Patton and many more have been painstakingly remastered using a mix of analog and digital technology for a hybrid sound that is simultaneously contemporary, immediate but still completely true-to-form. Single LP with single pocket tip-on jacket with soft touch finish.
The groundbreaking PBS and BBC documentary series celebrating the pioneers and artists of American roots music—blues, gospel, folk, Cajun, Appalachian, Hawaiian, Native American—without which there would be no jazz, rock, country R&B, or hip hop today.
Jack White, T. Bone Burnett, and Robert Redford have teamed up to executive produce American Epic, a historical music project exploring the pivotal recording journeys of the early twentieth century, which for the first time captured the breadth of American music and made it available to the world. It was, in a very real way, the first time America truly heard herself.
In the 1920s and 1930s, as radio took over the pop music business, record companies were forced to leave their studios in major cities in search of new styles and markets. Ranging the mountains, prairies, rural villages, and urban ghettos of America, they discovered a wealth of unexpected talent—farmers, laborers, and ethnic minorities playing styles that blended the intertwining strands of Europe, Africa, Asia, and the Americas. These recordings form the bedrock for modern music as we know it, but during the Depression many record companies went out of business and more than ninety percent of the fragile 78 rpm discs were destroyed. Fortunately, thanks to the continuing efforts of cultural detectives and record devotees, the stories of America’s earliest musicians can finally be told.
1. Cross Road Blues By Robert Johnson
2. On the Road Again By Memphis Jug Band
3. Louis Collins By Mississippi John Hurt
4. Sittin' on Top of the World By Mississippi Sheiks
5. 'Tain't Nobody's Business If I Do (Part 1) By Frank Stokes
6. Down the Dirt Road Blues By Charley Patton
7. My Black Mama (Parts 1 & 2) By Son House
8. Walk Right in By Cannon's Jug Stompers
9. The Panama Limited By Bukka White
10. Last Kind Words Blues By Geeshie Wiley & Elvie Thomas
11. Cottonfield Blues (Part 2) By Garfield Akers
12. Tallahatchie River Blues By Mattie Delaney
13. Mama 'Tain't Long Fo' Day By Blind Willie McTell
14. Future Blues By Willie Brown
15. Cool Drink of Water Blues By Tommy Johnson
16. Cypress Grove Blues By Skip James
17. Dark Was the Night, Cold Was the Ground By Blind Willie Johnson
Thank you for supporting Blues Music, Blues Musicians, and Blues Music Magazine. HAVE A QUESTION? CALL: 1-855-US BLUES
Video Listed Below!
If you choose the CD & subscription option you'll receive 8 issues plus this BONUS CD.
Blues Music Magazine is published four times a year. January, April, July, and October.
ATTENTION NEW SUBSCRIBERS: Please allow 8 to 12 weeks for your first issue to arrive. Blues Music Magazine is published four times a year. Thank you for becoming a member!!
ATTENTION RENEWAL MEMBERS: Please use the email address associated with your current account. If you use a different email address the system will create a new account and you may receive double copies.
If you need to change your email address please click the image below and submit the web form.