“Tom Gray and Mark Johnson are the rusty, banged up Cadillacs of the slide guitar, side by side coughing up smoke and spitting backwoods dirt, but unswerving in their precision and singular style.” — Tom Clarke, Hittin’ the Note
“I couldn’t imagine life without being able to play music,” says Delta Moon’s Mark Johnson. “We call ourselves lifers. We will play until we simply can’t do it any more.”
He and bandmate Tom Gray have been doing it a while now, laying down double slide guitar improvisations that often seem downright telepathic. It has been two decades since they started playing together — Mark on bottleneck slide and Tom on lap steel — first in Tom’s studio, and then in clubs, coffee shops and barbecue joints around Atlanta. The name Delta Moon came to Mark on a pilgrimage to Muddy Waters’ cabin near Clarksdale, Mississippi, when a brilliant full moon rose over the highway. With the addition of bass and drums Delta Moon quickly gathered a wall-full of local “best” awards. After winning the International Blues Challenge in Memphis in January of 2003, the band went on that year to play the prestigious Montreal Jazz Fest and other festivals, theaters and clubs across America and England. They have worked steadily on the road and in the studio ever since, recording critically acclaimed albums and crisscrossing the United States, Canada and Europe. Bassist Franher Joseph joined Delta Moon as a permanent member in 2007, adding a solid pocket and rich bass vocals.
- Delta Moon won the International Blues Challenge in Memphis in 2003.
- The Roots Music Association named lead vocalist Tom Gray Blues 2008 Songwriter of the Year. Tom has long been well known in the music industry as a songwriter, having penned Cyndi Lauper’s hit “Money Changes Everything” as well as songs recorded by Manfred Mann, Carlene Carter, Bonnie Bramlett and many others.
- Delta Moon’s music has been featured in television programs on Showtime, Lifetime, the Food Network and more.
- Delta Moon tours extensively in the United States, Canada and Europe.
- Delta Moon’s 2015 album, Low Down, was named one of the year’s best by both Downbeat and Blues Music Magazine.
- Delta Moon’s latest album, Babylon is Falling, is set for release September 21, 2018.
“Great grooves, thought provoking lyrics, infectious hooks, sweet slide guitar work and mountains of superb tone….” — No Depression
“Exquisite playing and fine songcraft….” — Living Blues
“Delta Moon is deep blues with a fury…. Hot stuff!” — Vintage Guitar